Cautious Optimism Waning

Those of you who know me know that I have been nothing but optimistic since my journey started in December of 2012.  Double vision and can’t play golf, no big deal I’ll start running.  May need brain surgery a second time, no big deal, control what I can control.  Actually need second brain surgery, no big deal, set big goal and focus and attack it.  Brain aneurysm, no big deal, start training for a full Ironman.
Even when this pandemic began almost 6 weeks ago, I stayed laser focused.  When the country basically shut down through the end of April I knew in the back of my mind that my first 2 races of the season were likely in jeopardy and I was ok with that because they were not my “A” races so when I got the email last week that Connecticut 70.3 was canceled, I was ok with it.  After all, it wasn’t my goal race.  No, my goal race is not until the end of August.  However, that may now be in jeopardy as a Montreal newspaper reported late last week that Quebec would seek to not allow any gatherings or large sporting events through August 31st.  It hasn’t been approved yet and it might not be approved, but if it does, that would likely mean that Ironman Mont Tremblant would not happen this year.
With this news I had two options, throw in the towel for this year and just stop training or call an audible.  I chose the latter.  I spoke with my coach and decided that there was no reason to waste the work that I’ve already put in.  Instead I would shift my focus to getting stronger on the bike, after all that’s where I’m going to spend the bulk of my Ironman journey.  I’ll continue to run, do strength work and BIKE!
I had a great weekend of training with this newfound outlook. Saturday I ran 10 and a half miles, Sunday I spent 3 hours in my basement on my bike trainer and then went for a 40 minute run.  The plan was to become an Ironman in 2020 and it still may happen.  However, if it doesn’t and I have to wait until 2021, so be it.  In the interim I will continue to put run and bike miles in the “bank” and when it comes time to make a withdrawal it will be overfunded and my mental game will be stronger than ever.

Comments

  1. You are amazing Jonathan!! I loathe indoor cardio...just can’t. Proud of you brother!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Right Where I’m Supposed to Be

The Hills are alive……