Best Laid Plans.....

“The best way to treat obstacles is to use them as steppingstones.  Laugh at them, tread on them, and let them lead you to something better.”
January 2, 2020, the start of a new year, a new decade and it was supposed to be the start of Ironman training.......WAS being the operative word.
Instead of going to spin class I woke up with a fever and chills.  It would be several hours later that I would find out that that fever and chills were........THE FLU!!!
Seriously?  No aches, no real pain, certainly didn’t feel like the flu, but the test said it was.  Once again the flu shot was about as effective as a meteorologist.  The only good thing about having git the shot, they symptoms are far less.
So after a week of forced rest, Ironman training commenced albeit a week later than anticipated.  I showed up at PWR spin on Thursday ready to begin this journey.  Class was tough, but not as bad as I had expected given the fact that I hadn’t done any exercise in almost 9 days.  Friday morning saw an early wake up call for a quick 5k on the dreadmill, not my favorite, but had to get it done.
This weekend saw unseasonably warm temperatures here in the northeast and I was glad to be able to get outside yesterday for an hour long run in shorts in mid January!
Today was the first mental fortitude test of training.  The schedule called for 2 hours on the the bike on the trainer.  A couple of episodes of Amazon Prime’s Jack Ryan should’ve made the time go by quickly however my computer had other plans.  Instead it was 2 hours of listening to a book on Audible, not ideal, but done is done.  First 2 hour ride of training under my belt, adversity dealt with and all in all a solid end to an abbreviated first week.
There will be setbacks, there will be obstacles and as long as I only worry about what I can control I will deal with them as they come because I know they will come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cautious Optimism Waning

Right Where I’m Supposed to Be

The Hills are alive……