Control what you can...

Worry about what you CAN control and not what you can’t!  This is a mantra that I lived by from 2015 when I found out that I “might” need a second surgery until early 2017 when I found out I would in fact have a second surgery.  I truly believe that I had I waited for the other shoe to drop and not lived my life to the fullest, I would have wound up losing my mind!
Here we are in March of 2020 and the country, actually the world is in the grips of a pandemic unlike anything most people have experienced in their lifetime.  The last time I remember witnessing something even remotely like this were the days following 9/11.  Long lines at the grocery stores, desolate parking lots at usually peak hours in town, even the gym parking lot was noticeably less crowded on this gorgeous Sunday morning.  Schools being closed, cities shutting down and what may seem minor to most in the grand scheme of things........races being cancelled.
People, myself included, spend a tremendous amount of time training and preparing for endurance events and now because of this pandemic these events are being postponed or cancelled.  Is it the responsible thing to do.... ABSOLUTELY, but it doesn’t make it any easier to handle when it happens to you.  However, this is one of those things that we can’t control.  So, we have choices, roll over and give in or continue to train in hopes that things return to normal.   I choose the latter.
Yesterday was my 47th birthday and I celebrated with a 3 hour indoor trainer ride and a 30 minute run followed by lunch and cake and ending with a great dinner with my awesome wife.  This morning a solid 8+ mile run.  Next week I was supposed to run the Fallen Comrades Half Marathon at West Point, but it was cancelled.  Instead of sulking, I will run my own half marathon locally, because that’s what I can control.   How you do anything is how you do everything is my new mantra and this is how I choose to live.......to the fullest!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cautious Optimism Waning

Right Where I’m Supposed to Be

The Hills are alive……