Good with the Bad

So, it’s been an interesting week full of highs and lows.  Since I started running 7 years ago I have been keenly aware that the path to race day isn’t linear.  There are ups and downs like any other journey, it’s just a matter of making sure to remain as even keeled as possible.  This was one of those weeks.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I will test in all 3 disciplines regularly so that my coach can monitor my progress.  This week was my swim test.  Each coach has a different method for conducting these tests, mine prefers a 1000 yard test.  The last time I performed this I swam my 1000 yards in 18:53.  Of all the disciplines, swimming has been the one that I’ve been seeing the biggest gains in lately so I was looking forward to this.  After completing my warm up I began the test.  I was cruising along and felt really good, but I also felt like I was swimming slowly, more on that in a minute.  As I got to the last 50 yards I pushed a little bit because I honestly thought I wasn’t going to beat my PR(personal record), but when I touched the wall after 20 laps and looked at my watch I had to do a quadruple take.  It read, 18:13!  That was a huge PR.  I guess all the practice in the pool is really paying dividends.  It’s also occurred to me that I must be more efficient in the water now which is why it feels slower.
Fast forward to Saturday, I went out for a one hour and ten minute run.  Things were moving along perfectly as I ran and talked with a friend of mine.  Pace was good, heart rate was good, weather was perfect and then it happened........I stepped of a curb and landed funny.  We stopped for a minute while I took inventory of the situation.  It stung for a minute, but when I stepped down and put weight on it everything seemed fine.  We continued on for 4 more miles and didn’t give it a second thought.  That is until I got home and it was swollen and painful.  Off to the ER I went, prepared for the worst, but hoping for the best.  After an x ray and what seemed like an eternity I was told there was no break just a bruise and likely strained tendons.  I considered myself lucky and walked out of the ER and breathed a huge sigh of relief!  Live to fight another day.

February Totals:
Swim-13.17 miles
Cycling-250 miles
Running-78.4 miles

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cautious Optimism Waning

Right Where I’m Supposed to Be

The Hills are alive……