There will be a finish line.....

Here we are, 3 weeks working from home, 2 weeks of my son being home schooled and I don’t know when I’ve been busier.  At first I thought, working from home would make it easier to get workouts done, less travel time to the pool, the gym, my bike trainer.......boy was I wrong!  Instead I actually find myself working harder than usual to get it all in.  However, it is getting done, except the pool of course.  Gyms have been closed for 2 weeks, my last swim was March 13th and I can honestly say I miss it!
The other thing that has been happening on an almost daily basis is race cancellations.  Now, I can’t speak for all endurance athletes, but for me the race is the celebration of all the training.  When you think about it, the race distance and time it takes to complete it pales in comparison to the miles and hours of training.  Last weekend I was supposed to run the Fallen Comrades Half Marathon at West Point and like all other races it was canceled.  Instead of moving around, I ran a virtual half marathon.  I mapped out a course locally with similar elevation and went out and ran 13.1 miles.  No fanfare, no finishing in the football stadium no other runners, except my friend Marie......socially distant of course!
I will continue to train as if my races are happening.  Without that my motivation might wane.  Only time will tell.  Mike Reilly, the voice of Ironman, has been doing Facebook Live videos recently which are definitely uplifting.  His message is simple though....We will have a finish line, this is what we’ve been training for!
We have to believe that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cautious Optimism Waning

Right Where I’m Supposed to Be

The Hills are alive……