Accountability

 I have found over the course of this journey that in order to really be successful in all aspects of life you need a person or persons to hold you accountable.  These accountability partners can sometimes be the difference between getting a workout done or not.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m a very type A personality, driven by success and goals, but having accountability partners is just another layer in the secret sauce of success.  First and foremost I have Lori and Jordan at home.  Lori occasionally thinks I’m crazy, but supports my craziness.  Whether it’s a “you’re going to be pissed if you don’t get up and do this” or “I think a tattoo is sexy”, Lori is always in my corner.  Jordan has always been my biggest fan and inspiration, from the sweaty hugs, to the “come on dad, you are going to be an Ironman” he is part of my “why”.  I want him to always know that if he works hard there is nothing he can’t do.  Then there’s my coach and past coaches. While I pay them, they have become friends, supporters and mentors and yes accountability partners.  Being able to execute the workouts that are laid out for me, sometimes well sometimes not so well, but being able to do post mortem  with them afterwards definitely helps me to improve and brings me one step closer to the ultimate goal.  Lastly, there are training partners.  While I definitely have a network of different people who I run, bike and swim with there are two that definitely hold me accountable for everything.  We have become known as the Horsemen, still not sure where that even came from, but Jerome and Ali and I are consistently there for each other.  Whether it’s a word of encouragement in our group text, a check in to see what’s on the schedule for the weekend, a FaceTime cocktail during the height of the pandemic or something as simple as a well timed meme or gif, these two definitely hold me accountable.  I’m not one of these “everything happens for a reason” people, but I will say that this worldwide pandemic has allowed for me to train alongside Jerome as we both take on this journey to become an Ironman.  While Ali may not be racing with us next August I know that he will be there for a lot of the key workouts as well and continue to hold us both accountable!  I know it’s cliche' in these times, but I believe that in order to accomplish incredible things you need to surround yourself with likeminded people who will be brutally honest and support you no matter what.  I know that I have those people.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cautious Optimism Waning

Right Where I’m Supposed to Be

The Hills are alive……