Building the Base

 Another full week of training in the books.  This phase that will last for a fair amount of time is known as the base building phase.  Ironman training is not all that different than building a house or a business, you have to start with a strong and solid foundation or base.  After not really exercising at all for all of September and half of October  because of the cluster headaches it feels good to be headache free and in a groove.  

Last year while training for my first Ironman I got in the habit of writing down all of my workouts on a calendar.  I’m not a pen and paper guy by any stretch of the imagination and my workouts are all in an app on my phone called TrainingPeaks, but I got in the habit last year of writing them down as well.  Something about seeing them in my handwriting every day and subsequently checking the box every day was even more satisfying than turning the “boxes” green on the app.  It has become my Sunday evening ritual along with updating this blog.

The other Sunday ritual that has started, working out with Jordan.  It is great to be able to go to the gym, lift with him and then head for the sauna or steam room.  Being able to spend that time with him is something that I try not to take for granted.  We play golf together and run together, but he’s so much faster than me right now that he doesn’t want to run slow with his old man so I’ll settle for the gym for now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cautious Optimism Waning

Right Where I’m Supposed to Be

The Hills are alive……