Getting there…….

 Another solid week of training in the books.  All green in TrainingPeaks means no missed workouts again which is something that I’ve always taken great pride in.  I’ve always believed that having a coach is having an accountability partner, yes it’s one that you pay, but that makes it all more important to me to do every single workout he gives me.  

This week’s big win for me was not the endurance training aspect, but rather the gains in the gym.  Ever since I started my triathlon career my coaches have stressed the importance of not only lifting, but lifting heavy.  In 2018 while training for Maine 70.3 I looked back and realized that one of the reasons I didn’t get hurt, not even a niggle in 10 months of training was likely due to the strength training.  I am very aware that as a “older” athlete the need to strength train and lift heavy is paramount to staying injury free. So, I did 2 heavy strength workouts this week, my go to is the simple tried and true.  Squats, Deadlifts, Lunges, Step Ups, Shoulder Presses, Lat Pull Downs, Biceps Curls, Triceps Push Downs and Pull Ups.  It’s the same every week give or take and twice a week.  What I saw this week was the weight I am currently squatting almost exactly what I was consistently squatting 2 years ago.  I can’t do one rep maximum lifts because of my health issues and to be honest there’s no need to, but being able to do 4-6 reps at heavy weight is my goal and today I definitely made huge strides in the weight room.

I know that by consistently putting in the work in the gym is going to pay huge dividends in my swimming, biking and running.  Not only will it keep me healthy, but it will also make me stronger when I take on the hills of Lake Placid and more importantly on the back end of the Ironman marathon.  I have a goal, my coach has the plan to help me reach that goal and while things will undoubtedly pop up in the next 7 months, nothing will stand in the way of me and that red carpet in less than 17 hours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cautious Optimism Waning

Right Where I’m Supposed to Be

The Hills are alive……