Roll with it

 Last week made me remember that training isn’t always perfect and neither is life.  My early week workouts were great, felt strong and execution was on point.  I had purposely flipped my Friday swim and Saturday long ride because we were going to Long Island for the weekend, more on that in a second.  Friday’s ride was great!  One of the big things that my coach has me working on this off season is making sure that I’m riding more efficiently which will in turn help me to run better off of the bike.  It’s kind of like driving a car, if you slam on the gas and then the breaks over and over your fuel efficiency will suck, but if you apply even pressure to the pedal than better gas mileage.  So, it’s all about a constant output of energy on the bike.  Enough of the technical side, my numbers were great on Friday.

We headed out to Long Island and after dropping Jordan off at a Bar Mitzvah I headed to the gym to swim.  I showed up, changed and headed to the pool only to find out that at this particular location you need a reservation for the lap pool.  Same gym as my local one, national chain, but different rules.  After the initial anger wore off, I called my coach and his advice was to let it go.  No reason to stress about what I can’t control.  So I did just that, headed to the city for a nice dinner with family and didn’t let it eat me up inside.

The plan for Sunday was to run a virtual 5k with Jordan something that I always look forward to.  Getting to spend time with him regardless of the activity is something I cherish.  We had a great time, talking, sharing miles and just bonding. We were then headed to buy Jordan’s Bar Mitzvah suit another milestone in his life that I looked forward to even though I would love for time to slow down.  Now, it just so happens that the store we were buying the suit from is across the street from my favorite pizza place in the world.  I was looking forward to sharing this with Jordan as Lori has already tried it.  Imagine my surprise and disappointment when we arrived at the front door to find it dark and closed!!!  I was all ready to break my ketogenic diet for this pizza, pizza I had looked forward to for months. 2 days on Long Island and two curveballs.  

We returned to New Jersey, and had pizza here, not the same, but I had to satisfy the craving that I was prepared for.  This weekend made me realize that things don’t always go according to plan.  A wise man once told me to Control the Contollables, managing the bumps in the road and minimizing their impact on my big picture is what will get me where I need to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cautious Optimism Waning

The Hills are alive……

Right Where I’m Supposed to Be