They’re always watching……

 The day after Christmas 2021, it was supposed to be day 2 of my bachelor week.  

Let me bring you up to speed, ever since I’ve been a wholesaler it’s been impossible for me to go away for winter break because it’s year end for business.  I need to be home to help my agents get business submitted and paid for year end.  A couple of months ago my sister in law and my nephew decided to go to Florida to see my in laws and suggested that Jordan and Lori join them.  Just because I can’t get away they shouldn’t suffer, so it was decided.  For months both Lori and Jordan were looking forward to this trip, a break from the everyday and the cold and the routine.  

In true 2021 fashion Covid decided that she’d make one last stand.  A new variant swept across the world starting a few months ago and caused a little more chaos.  People traveling to see family they haven’t seen in over a year sent travel to pre pandemic levels.  That being said it wasn’t vaccines that were in high demand, but rather tests!! People trying to be responsible were getting tested in record numbers to make sure that they weren’t putting loved ones in harms way.  Lori was one of those responsible ones.  She and Jordan went for a PCR test last Wednesday.

Friday came and their results still weren’t back, so after several calls back and forth and time running out Lori and Jordan went back to the testing center for a rapid test, not as reliable, but a test nonetheless.  As they waited for the results and I sat in the car I got the call, the one no one wants to get.  Jordan’s PCR came back…..POSITIVE!  Moments later the rapid would come back…. NEGATIVE! A head scratcher indeed, but given the current state of affairs the responsible thing was to cancel their trip.

To say they were devastated would be an understatement.  The tears flowed the entire car ride home and rightfully so, Lori’s week of downtime was snatched away, Jordan’s fun in the sun, gone.  

Once we got home Jordan lost it for about 30 minutes, as any 12 year old would.  After a brief conversation with my in laws, Lori decided to reschedule the trip to February break, right after Jordan’s birthday.  Lori then said something to Jordan that she had said to me when Ironman Mont Tremblant got canceled for the second time, “it’s ok to be disappointed”.  Just like that Jordan’s attitude flipped.  He had grieved for his lost vacation and now he had set a countdown clock for the February trip.  Looking forward to us going together as a family, looking forward to our walks from the pool, looking forward to Publix, Kilwin’s and of course Bulk n Bins.

It was in that very moment that I realized he’s been watching the whole time.  Even if he doesn’t tell me he’s proud or that he’s learning his actions spoke volumes.  He was able to be disappointed, but realize it was out of his control and move on to the next thing.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cautious Optimism Waning

The Hills are alive……

Right Where I’m Supposed to Be